We’ve all been there. Eyebrow disasters can range anywhere from over-plucked to the dreaded “tadpole” brows and let’s just say, it isn’t pretty.
At the 2012 MTV Movie Awards, Pretty Little Liars star Lucy Hale lifted a few brows–literally. People couldn’t help but comment on her full, defined arches. We love Lucy Hale’s sculpted look and clearly we’re not the only ones.
Anastasia Soare is widely referred to as “The Definitive Brow Expert” and boasts an impressive celebrity clientele that includes: Kim Kardashian, Oprah, Jennifer Lopez, Naomi Campbell, Jada Pinkett Smith, Penelope Cruz, and more.The eyebrow expert made sure to bring up Hale’s awesome arches. Anastasia declared that, “Lucy Hale’s brows are what I call ‘Bombshell Arch’: a high arch that’s sculpted. This is the most requested type of brow arch at the salon.”
Anastasia’s beauty philosophy is that eyebrows are the starting point for beauty. She explains, “Bolder, thicker brows [like Lucy’s] bring more attention to your eyes… and the best brows frame the face and create proportion.”
Here at Pretty Little Liars, we’ve always known Lucy was a bombshell and we’re here to show you how to be one too with this easy guide to beautiful brows!
- Grab an eyeliner pencil. Very dark or white eyeliner is the best choice because you will need it to stand out against your brows. Hold the pencil vertically against the side of your nose until it intersects your brow—that’s where the inner edge of your brow should begin. Using the eyeliner pencil, draw a line.
- Then, tilt the pencil diagonally (keeping one end against your nostril) so that the tip of the pencil hits the outer corner of your eye—that’s where your brow should end. Draw another line here with your eyeliner.
- Tilt the pencil at an angle from the nostril to the outside edge of the iris. Mark this point. This will determine where the highest part of the arch should rise.
- Repeat these steps on your other eyebrow.
- Take a step back and make sure they are symmetrical. Adjust as needed.
- Fill in your brows, using your eyeliner markings as a stencil. It is important to fill them in before plucking so you do not pluck within the liner—this will result in misshapen brows!
- Brush eyebrows upward with a spooley brush and trim any long hairs that extend far past your filled-in, natural shape with an eyebrow scissor.
- Pluck hairs that fall outside your liner. Go slowly and take frequent steps back to ensure you don’t get carried away.
- When you have achieved the desired arch, remove the liner, fill brows in with brow powder, and set with an eyebrow gel.
- Admire your bombshell self in the mirror, and go!
- When plucking, ensure that you pull the hair out at the root by pulling your tweezers in the same direction that the hair grows. This will prevent you from merely breaking the hair off and result in a cleaner, better look.
- Make sure you have good lighting—squinting your eyes and other excessive facial movements will affect the final shape.
- Do not use a magnifying mirror, otherwise you will over-tweeze your brows! Trust us.
- If you aren’t sure whether a hair should be there or not, leave it.
- Pluck after a warm shower, while pores are open, to minimize pain.
- Eye brow powder tends to look softer and more natural than an eyebrow pencil—it never looks overdone. Use an angled eyeliner brush to apply it.
- When picking your eyebrow filler, aim for a shade that matches your hair color. If you are between shades remember this: blondes, go for the darker shade; brunettes, the lighter shade.
- Don’t be a filling rookie and make the common mistake of starting at the edge of your brow closest to your nose! Instead, begin in the middle of the brow and draw tiny, slightly upwards strokes towards the ends. Then use the leftover powder to touch up the inner edges.
- For quick way to look put together anytime, apply a clear or tinted brow gel to tame unruly hairs—just don’t use too much!
- To always look groomed, make sure you brush your brows with a clean spooley brush; just like brushing your teeth or your hair in the morning!
To help get your brows looking fab, try Anastasia The Kit for Perfect Brows and Eyes. It contains everything you need for amazing arches!
Or, see a pro at Anastasia Brow Studios, at select Nordstrom and Sephora locations. Find a store here.
Have you ever made a major brow blunder? Tell us about it in the comments!