If there’s one reason we’re mega amped for the Pretty Little Liars black-and-white episode (aside from all the tantalizing dialogue and alluring cinematography, of course), it’s the fashion. From Spencer’s breathtaking dressing gown to Toby’s snappy old-school detective suit, we’re smitten with all the 1940s styles featured in this special old Hollywood event. That said, we were eager to know more about the various vintage outfits that pay homage to the glory days of film noir, so we reached out to the show’s costume designer — the incredible Mandi Line — to get all the details on what inspired each character’s glam look in “Shadow Play.” Check out 9 exclusive fun facts below!
1. “We talked about Lauren Bacall for Troian [Bellisario], with a side order of Barbara Stanwyck.”
2. “We discussed Ava Gardner for Shay [Mitchell], although she ended up with a little Sophia Loren.”
3. “Keegan [Allen] is full on [Humphrey] Bogart with an emphasis on The Big Sleep.”
4. “Ashley [Benson] has a sort of wisecracking Ginger Rogers feel to her.”
5. “Lucy [Hale] comes across a little like Teresa Wright in Hitchcock’s Shadow of a Doubt.
6. “Ian [Harding] is very specifically Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death.”
7. “Janell [Parish] is a combo of a lot of bad girls including Audrey Totter and Marie Windsor.”
8. “Sasha was an old time show girl, and the painting you see is gorgeous and [inspired by the allure of] velvet.”
9. “Lindsay was just my vision of a fashionable lesbian back in that time period.”
And that’s not all, lovelies. Thanks to ABC Family, we also have a special video of the cast members and Mandi sharing their hilarious initial reactions to all the eye-popping fashion featured in “Shadow Play.” Take a look below!