Warning: This speculation post contains huge spoilers from the Pretty Little Liars Season 4 summer finale (Season 4, Episode 12) concerning the identity of “A”. Please do not scroll down if you have not yet watched “Now You See Me, Now You Don’t!”
Update: After you finish this post, click here to check out Part 2 of why Ezra might be A!
During the Season 4 mid-season finale, Pretty Little Liars dropped a bombshell so explosive and so shocking, we doubt we’ll ever recover from the trauma: namely, that Ezra Fitz is Alison DiLaurentis’s “beach hottie.” However, does this earth-shattering reveal actually mean that he’s “A”? (After all, he wasn’t wearing a black hoodie.) Or, is it simply a mislead – a leger de main if you will? Join us below as we take a stroll down PLL memory lane to search for clues and reevaluate the Rosewood High teacher’s motives and his suspicious behavior!
1. In Pretty Little Liars Season 4 Episode 12, a dark figure enters the creepy lair of photos and high tech gadgets that Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily had discovered early. He slowly spins around as though trying to figure out what the girls saw and took. Suddenly, the camera pans in and OH MY MONTGOMERY it’s Ezra Freaking Fitz. He’s radiates with sheer rage and also angrily slams an armoire door.
2. He owns a typewriter for all those times he needed to send off life-threatening notes to high school girls. Additionally, A’s letter to Ella in PLL Season 1 informing her of Byron’s affair with Meredith and the note A placed under Byron’s windshield in Season 2B asking, “Do you know where your daughter will be tonight?” were both written on a typewriter. Ezra and Jenna are the only two people we’ve seen with typewriters but it seems as though Ezra’s gets more screen time.
3. In the pilot episode, Ezra acts as though he’s never met or seen Aria before. However, in the flashback Halloween special, “The First Secret,” we get a glimpse of Ezra checking out Aria when she visits her dad in between lectures and accidentally bumps into Ezra in the hallway.We don’t think it’s a coincidence that he brought up Iceland…
5. Let’s just clear the elephant in the room: Ezra Fitz loves dating younger girls. Thus, we wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he once courted Ali the same way he did Aria. And the people he wants gone? “A” has a habit of forcing the Liars to destroy such fools. *coughJackiecough*
6. In episode 3×05, Ezra purchased Aria a rather luxurious gift: a professional camera. That same night, Aria found a stack of Benjamins tucked away in one of Ezra’s drawers but he insisted he earned that from selling his car. We also know that Ezra refuses to leech off his family’s wealth. In the episode before that, Jason was seen writing out a check for $50,000. Could Ezra have blackmailed Jason in true “A” form?
7. Just like a beehive, Ezra’s English classroom blackboard is swarming with clues and suggestive literary quotes that hint at the possibility of him being Rosewood’s biggest sociopath. In a Season 1 episode we spot the following quote from the Great Gatsby: “I couldn’t forgive him or like him, but I saw what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confused. They were careless people, Tom and Daisy – they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together and let other people clean up the mess they had made.” Um, can anyone say “The Jenna Thing”?! Moreover, we are all too familiar with the viral photo from episode 1×12 below featuring Ezra’s penchant for CAPITAL LETTERS!
8. At the end of the Rosewood hoedown in PLL episode 4×11, Aria stops by Ezra’s apartment to console him about losing Malcolm. And if you do a slow sweep of the background, you’ll spot on the counter a mug with the letter “A” on it. Unless that cup belongs to Aria and she forgot to reclaim it, it’s a bit weird for someone named Ezra to have an “A” mug.
9. Why the bleep is Ezra always showing up to the funerals of people he doesn’t know? He is spotted at Alison’s first burial (at which Spencer received a text from A saying he/she was watching “just like Tom Sawyer” which is definitely the sort of thing a literature teacher would reference). He also attends Ian Thomas’s. Perhaps we’re overthinking it but Ezra might be graveyard-hopping to make sure that people he wants dead stay dead. Creepy!
10. Oh hey, everyone. Remember the time when in Season 1 Noel Kahn tried to blackmail Ezra and then, out of the blue, test answer sheets were planted in his locker and he was suspend? Or how about in episode 4×11 when Ezra lost his cool and unloaded all his fury onto poor Emily whose jaw dropped to the floor at how mean her teacher could be? #neverforget
11. In episode PLL episode 1×02, as Aria leaves a cozy coffee shop and steps out into the rain, a store is shown in the background called “Hardware Keyes.” The K in the second word is cut off by a pole so it ends up looking like a pair of eyes. The song playing during this moment is called “Fresh Pair of Eyes.” Ezra cruises around the corner in that instant and offers Aria a ride. When Spencer finds out that A stole her sister’s engagement ring from the local pawn shop, she glances up to discover a pair of bespectacled eyes frowning down at her and her friends as though to say, “I’m always watching you.” (Fun fact: This was yet another Great Gatsby reference. And who wrote this timeless classic? F.Scott Fitzgerald.) Moreover, Aria sent Ezra a text in Season 1, Episode 20 about his beautiful peepers (it accidentally went to her mom though – awkward). Ezra and his watchful eyes seem to be a common theme in PLL. Are they symbolic of his constant surveillance over Ravenswood?
12. At the homecoming dance in PLL episode 1×06, Spencer and her date Alex drop by the fortune teller tent to get their futures read. However, the fortune teller places down five Tarot cards (one for each of her friends including Alison) and explains them to her. The fourth card is especially alarming: “The lovers is a joyful card, but when paired with judgment, it means there’s something wrong with this couple. It’s a bad match. There’s darkness in him, maybe even violence. Or vengeance.” Meanwhile, as Spencer is being spooked by a soothsayer, the scenes flash to Aria running after Ezra. Could the mad man the fortune-teller had been referring to none other than ol’ Fitzy?
13. “A” owns a record player. Ezra Fitz owns records, including one by Supertramp. It’s hard to jump to conclusions when you make such connections.
14. In the Pretty Little Liars Season 2 premiere, Ezra enters the classroom to find a game of hangman going on with his class. Interestingly enough, the mystery word seems to be “Liars.” He acts like he doesn’t know anything about but it seems awfully fishy that it’s on his blackboard as opposed to another teacher’s. Even more interesting, Ian Thomas had just been hung by A from the chapel bell and his disappearance was the talk of the town.
15. Ezra has an impressive collection of French posters (one of them even depicts a plane) back at his bachelor pad. He’s also a very cultured individual and, often, a college professor (which Ezra was at one point) is required to be fluent in a few languages in order to translate sources. It was indicated numerous times throughout the season “A” loves the French language and even tried to master it. Coincidence?
16. In Pretty Little Liars Season 3, Episode 24 Ezra tells Aria to leave his lime alone. At the end of the episode we see A enjoying a cocktail with a lime in it. Clearly, this is someone who enjoys citrus flavoring and is over 21. Hmm. Hmm. Hmm.
17. In PLL Season 3, Episode 16 (“The Remains of the A”), Ezra continues his job search in the Want Ads. At the end of the ep, we spy A with a newspaper in hand, circling details about a room that’s available for rent. Could “A” have been Ezra in search of a lair?
18. In Season 1, Episode 17 Hanna’s mom stole a whole lot of cash from one of her bank customers (Esther Marie Potter). That customer later died and we saw A approaching her grave. The epitaph on her stone read, “To sleep, per chance to dream.” This is a Shakespearean quote and Aria soon after mentions that they are studying Shakespeare in English class.
19. One word: whiskey. In PLL Season 2, Episode 7 (“Surface Tension) when Bryon invited Ezra over to his house for a dinner with their colleagues, he brings over a bottle of whiskey as a gift. This is the same brand of whiskey A uses when littering Jason’s porch with empty bottles in “Dead to Me” and then when playing spin the bottle with the Liars’ faces taped on in PLL episode 3×19. (Also important to note is that Ezra has reason to hate Jason DiLaurentis — he kissed Aria and is Alison’s brother. He looked especially angry to see Jason at the dinner party which was weird but it makes a bit of sense now.)
20. We are probably stretching it with this one but in the Season 2 finale, Ezra surprises Aria at the dance and he removes his masquerade mask in public. The episode is titled “unmAsked.” While the big twist at the end of the night is that Mona is working for the A-team, Ezra did literally remove his disguise to go along with evening’s theme. Double entendre much?
21. Ezra is SO clean-cut he’s not even listed on the suspects board for Detective Wilden’s murder, even though it’s literally a cat’s cradle directory of Who’s Who in Rosewood. He’s very good at evading unwanted attention — he avoids his family, lives modestly, and even altered his surname!
Is ABC Family trying to create a diversion to keep us from uncovering the truth about the REAL A? Or is Ezra Fitz the lunatic who has been tormenting Aria, Spencer, Emily, and Hanna for the past four seasons of PLL? Or he just your run-of-the-mill stalker? If you have any new clues to share, feel free to post them in the comments. (There are so many more still left that we may have to write up a Part B.)
Click here to check out Part TWO of why Ezra might be A. The clues just keep on coming!
About the Author: Theo is a television enthusiast/digital editor at Alloy Entertainment. A conspiracy theorist at heart, this Greek gal is constantly on the look-out for horcruxes and is still trying to make sense of Lost Season 6. All in all, she enjoys freshly brewed iced tea, ancient poetry, and Whedonverse. Follow her musings on entertainment at @theodorag13.